Prevention Tips to Avoid Carbon Monoxide Poisoning at Home

Prevention Tips to Avoid Carbon Monoxide Poisoning at Home


Carbon monoxide or “CO” can kill you SILENTLY. It is due to its colorless, odorless, and tasteless features. These features make it hard to detect whether it is present in your property. However, there are some indications like headache, nausea, or even breathing problem. This, if not identified would cause severe health problems or even death.


Household appliances such as gas fires, boilers, central heating system, water heater, cookers, and open fires which use gas, oil, coal, and wood may be possible sources of CO gas. It happens when the fuel does not burn fully. It can also be from certain paint removers and cleaning fluids that were not handled properly.


Here are some prevention tips to avoid Carbon Monoxide poisoning at home:


1. Make sure to install your gas, oil, and solid fuel burning appliances properly, including stoves and gas central heating. And those appliances must be serviced by a qualified technician every year.


2. Better have a battery-operated backup CO detector in your home and place it where everybody in the house can hear it. This alarm can help you take action immediately.


3. Make sure to have adequate ventilation to where your gas appliances are being placed. Horizontal vent pipes for appliances, such as water heater, is highly recommended as they go towards outdoors.


4. It is best to have a well-ventilated lobby between garage and living areas. If none, make sure to open the door to a detached garage to let in the fresh air, especially when you run a car inside.


5. Your chimney should be checked and cleaned every year. It could be blocked by debris that can cause carbon monoxide to build up inside your home.


Everyone at home could be at risk for carbon monoxide poisoning. But with proper caution and prevention, you could be at peace that you will all be safe and secured under your own roof.