Is there anything I can do about my neighbour constantly playing music/TV really loud?

We sometimes get called from our tenants stating that their neighbours are playing loud music or the TV is very loud, now although people can play their music to a certain level between 8am and 10pm there are some who disobey this rule. We have put together an article on what to do in them circumstances.

In the first instance we would advise that you approach your neighbour directly in an attempt to resolve the situation. If you have already tried this, you should contact the Environmental Health department of your local authority – most have 24 hour cover so can be called at any time.

For long term problems, you may be asked to keep a diary of the noise and you may be given some equipment to record the noise.These two steps are designed to gather evidence for a prosecution, although it is likely they will give your neighbour the opportunity to turn the TV/music down without further action. The whole process can take some time to complete, so you may have to be patient. The police do not have any powers to prosecute for noise nuisance.

Cheshire East Environmental Health can be contacted on 0300 123 7038