Contact us today

Please enter your first name.
Please enter your surname.
Please enter your telephone number.
Please enter a valid email address.
Please provide some details about your enquiry.

Loughborough Branch | Referencing Guide

Before we can grant you a tenancy at one of our rental properties, we must carry out several checks and see sight of certain documents for everyone over the age of 18 living in the property. Without satisfactory checks and documents for all applicants we will be unable to let you rent a property with us. We will require:


Proof of ID

  • For all adults moving in to the property, we will need to see and make a copy of one of the following documents:
  • A photo card driving licence
  • Passport (we cannot accept out of date passports)
  • Resident permit issued to European Economic Association by the Home Office
  • Criminal Records Bureau Certificate
  • Police warrant card
  • Forces ID Card

Proof of Current Address

For all adults moving in to the property, we will need to see and make copies of two of the following:

  • Utility Bill
  • Home TV/Broadband Bill
  • Driving Licence (if not used as photo ID)
  • Letter from employer on headed paper
  • Bank/Building Society Statement
  • Mortgage Statement
  • Current Council Tax bill
  • Local Authority rent card
  • House or motor insurance certificate
  • State pension/benefits notification
  • Credit Card Statement
  • Criminal Record Bureau Certificate


If you are not a UK or EU National and wish to apply for a property, we will legally have to check your immigration status. If this applies to you, then please contact us for more information on what is required on 01509 260777.

Credit Checks

We will need to carry out credit checks on all tenants over the age of 18. These credit checks do not look at credit scores, but will flag up any CCJ’s, IVA’s or bankruptcy orders. If you have one of these, you will be required to declare it on your application form and then it will be assessed accordingly.

Current Landlord Reference

If you have been living in a rental property, we will require contact details for your current landlord so we can discuss your tenancy with him. Please note we cannot accept any references where we have been unable to speak to the landlord ourselves.

Affordability Checks

The combined annual income of all tenants in the property must be equivalent to or higher than the annual rent x 2.5. For instance, if you wish to rent a property with a rent of £500pcm, the annual rent would be £6,000 and 2.5 times this amount is £15,000.

For a guarantor, your income must be 3 times higher than the annual rent.

To prove this, we will require the following.

Applicants in Full or Part-Time Employment

We will contact your employer to confirm your salary, or you must provide us with your three most recent payslips.

Applicants in Temporary Employment

Your employment must not end until after your initial six month tenancy. We will contact your employers to verify this and your salary.

Self-Employed Applicants

We will either need to see at least two years’ worth of tax returns or require an accountant reference. If you have been self-employed for less than two years, a guarantor will be required.

Retired Applicants

We will need to see proof of your pension income in the form of pension statements or yearly P60’s from HMRC. Alternatively you can use savings as per below or a combination of the two.

Applicants with Savings

In order to be acceptable, you will need to be able to show statements showing savings equivalent to or in excess of 2.5 times the annual rent (e.g. for a £500pcm property, you will require £15,000 in savings). This amount must have been consistently in your account over the past six months and therefore we will require either six months’ worth of statement or an annual statement.

If you are unsure whether you will pass the affordability, or do not fall into any of these categories, then please do not hesitate to contact us on 01509 260777 or at loughborough@belvoir.co.uk.

The landlord’s decision is final, and even with satisfactory references a landlord may not grant you a tenancy. In this instance, you would be liable for a full refund of your administration fees.