SAFEagent Belvoir Lettings Nuneaton and Hinckley is proud to be supporting Gas Safety Week, taking place 16 – 22 September 2013.
We have already pledged commitment to consumer protection by signing up to the SAFEagent campaign. SAFEagent is an easily identifiable logo signposting letting agents who are part of a Client Money Protection Scheme. This means that if an agent misappropriates or uses client funds fraudulently will be safeguarded.
Now we are supporting Gas Safe Week, in its aims to raise awareness of gas safety and the importance of taking care of your gas appliances.
Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. Every year thousands of people across the UK are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning. It is a highly poisonous gas. You can’t see it, taste it or smell it, but it can kill quickly with no warning.
By taking care of your gas appliances properly you are taking care of your home and your loved ones. Follow these top tips to help keep you and your family gas safe:
- make sure only a Gas Safe registered engineer works on your gas appliances. Illegal gas fitters can put your life at risk
- always check the engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card
- make sure gas appliances have a regular service and a gas safety check every 12 months
- look out for warning signs that your gas appliances aren’t working correctly e.g. lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room
- know the signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness
- install an audible carbon monoxide alarm
- if you smell gas call the gas emergency number on0800 111 999
For gas safety advice or to find and check an engineer visit the Gas Safe Register website at www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk. Alternatively call the free helpline on 0800 408 5500.