(Murphy & Son now operate in the building that was once the brewery adjacent to the Maltings)
Did we mention that we love unique buildings with character? We think it’s great that historical buildings that add to Nottingham’s character are being restored and used for new purposes, such as the Kimberley Ales Brewery. Although it has been a while since The Basford Maltings was taken over and turned into student accommodation, we still appreciate the magnificence of the building and it’s history!
Where it all began
Founded in around 1869, Hutchinson & Sons Ltd consisted of a Brewery and a Malt House, based opposite each other on Alpine Street. The Brewery still exists today, and now operates under Murphy and Son Ltd, who supply processing aids, ingredients and equipment for brewing.
The Maltings and brewery were designed by architect William Bradford, who was a prolific architect of breweries and was responsible for building or altering 70 breweries! He is often credited for his distinct style, and is nicknamed the ‘father of the ornamental brewery’.
The Basford Maltings (below) is constructed of brick with ashlar dressings. The street front has a coped gable with kneelers, and openings with ashlar sills and lintels set in recessed panels rising through three floors. In the gable are five segment-headed iron glazing bar casements, with three similar oval windows above them, all with keystones.
The northwest front has seven bays each with three segment-headed openings set in full-height recessed panels. The central bay has an ornate wooden gabled lucam. On the roof are two rows of three wooden gabled dormers. Beyond are the former kilns, now raised and with flat roofs.
Fast forward to present times
The maltings ceased brewing in 1916, and was converted into flats by the time the building was listed in 1986. Sometime after 1990 the building was converted into student accommodation by architects Sunderland Craig Partners for Mortar Developments and Nottingham Trent University. The building contractors were Thomas Fish and Sons Limited and George Wimpey.
The grade 2 listed building is now used as student accommodation for the nearby Nottingham Trent University campuses and is made up of accommodation for 266 male and female students arranged in flats of between five and ten people.
To view the inside of the Maltings as it looks now, click here.