When leaving a rental property, you are obliged to give one months’ written notice prior to your ‘rent due date’ as shown in your Tenancy Agreement.
Belvoir will arrange a convenient time with you on the last day of your tenancy to meet you at the property to carry out a formal checkout. At the checkout, we will compare the property against the initial inventory completed at the start of your tenancy, we will take final meter readings and will collect your keys.
The deposit paid at the start of your tenancy was registered with The Deposit Protection Service (please refer to the Terms and Conditions of the scheme provided at the beginning of your tenancy). The deposit is held as security for the performance of your obligations as tenant/s under the Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement.
AT THE CHECKOUT:
- Please allow enough time for the formal checkout. As a guideline, a 3 bedroom property can take 2 ½ to 3 hours (sometimes more depending upon its condition).
- We will take meter readings and notify your utility providers and the local council on your behalf and will require a forwarding address. Please provide details of your current supplier/s at the checkout.
- We will collect all keys. Please ensure you return all keys for the property, this must also include any keys for sheds, outbuildings, garages etc. Any gas/electric meter cards/keys should be left in the property.
- Please contact the Post Office and arrange for your mail to be redirected to your new home. We are unable to accept responsibility for forwarding your post or collecting on your behalf from the property.
CHECKLIST FOR VACATING THE PROPERTY:
- Please return the property at the end of your tenancy in the same good, clean condition as it was at the beginning of the tenancy, as recorded on the inventory report. (This includes vacuuming carpets, wiping any dust from skirting boards and window sills, cleaning windows, cleaning inside kitchen units and drawers, worktops and appliances, cleaning tiled or vinyl floors, cleaning bathroom and toilet suites).
- Leave the oven and hob in the same state of cleanliness as it is listed in the inventory (please ensure you check your inventory report as this is the condition that will be checked).
- Fridges and freezers must be defrosted and cleaned throughout; doors should be left open and switched off at the mains.
- All other appliances e.g. washing machine, dishwasher etc. must be cleaned appropriately.
- Repair or replace (like for like) all such items of the fixtures, fittings, furniture and effects that have been broken, lost, damaged or destroyed during the tenancy.
- Leave the garden in a tidy condition. Lawns must be cut and edged; borders must be weed free; hedges, climbers, trees and shrubs must be trimmed (if they have become overgrown) and any leaves are removed.
- All windows must be cleaned inside and outside of the property prior to the checkout.
- If you redecorated during the tenancy (with the Landlord’s consent) you may be required to return the walls to their original colour / condition before vacating. Please confirm with the office.
- If you have put pictures, mirrors etc. on the walls (with the Landlord’s consent), you must make good any holes from pictures and paint the whole wall to ensure it is put back to its original condition, please do not patch paint.
- Remove all rubbish from the property (with the exception of one dustbin or black refuse bag which may be left in the appropriate place for collection) before returning the property. Please ensure the garden bin only contains garden waste as the Council will not remove if filled with other rubbish. Costs will be deducted from your deposit for the removal of any additional rubbish left at the property. Please confirm date of collection.
- Carpets are left in a clean condition. Any marks should be removed. If a pet has been kept at a property, please ensure all animal hair has been removed from carpets, curtains etc.
- Remove all your personal items from the property at the end of the tenancy, any items left are automatically deemed to have been abandoned by the tenant and the cost of disposing these items will be charged to the deposit.
- Please ensure all light bulbs are left in working order, this must include external lights and kitchen unit lights, fridge/oven and extractor lights etc. Any batteries are replaced to ensure items such as door bells, smoke alarms etc. are in working order.
- Your rental account must be up to date
Following the formal checkout, a copy of the report will be sent to both you and your landlord.
PLEASE NOTE: If the property is not returned in the same condition recorded in the inventory report at the start of your tenancy, we will be instructed to claim against your deposit in order to rectify any issues.