Landlord Knowledge Hub

Welcome to our landlord knowledge Hub. We have put together for you a number of important responsibilities that you need to be aware of as a landlord. Being a landlord can be a commercial joy but property lettings are not without its responsibilities and any ignorance or abdication on the part of a landlord can lead to very heavy fines or even imprisonment.

Free Landlord Guide

Enter mobile number to receive your download code

Need a rental property valuation? Letting Agents Wolverhampton manage property on behalf of hundreds of landlords.

Please note most of our information has been taken from the HSE website. The information is for advice and guidance only. We hope you find our Landlord Knowledge Hub useful and informative.

Gas safety check

Your legal responsibilities relating to Gas safety are:

  1. You must maintain all gas pipework and flues. You will also need to maintain any Gas appliances that you have fitted.
  2. Organise the annual Gas safety check with a Gas safe registered engineer.
  3. Retain all records of Gas checks for at least 2 years.

Letting Agents Wolverhampton can arrange for a Gas safety certificate for you.

Fire safety

Your legal responsibilities relating to Fire safety are:

  1. You must adhere to the fire safety regulations
  2. Provide a smoke alarm on each floor level and a carbon monoxide alarm in rooms with a usable fireplace or wood burner
  3. Make sure tenant have access to escape routes at all times
  4. Make sure the all the interior furnishings are fire safe
  5. Provide fire alarms and extinguishers if the property is a large House in Multiple Occupation (HMO)

Letting Agents Wolverhampton fit free smoke alarms with every Gas safety check.

Smoke alarm & Carbon monoxide regulations

Your legal responsibilities relating to Smoke alarm & Carbon monoxide regulations are:

  1. The regulations require private rented sector landlords, from 1 October 2015, to have at least one smoke alarm installed on every level of their rental property which is used as living accommodation.
  2. To have a carbon monoxide alarm in any room used as living accommodation where solid fuel is used
  3. After that, the landlord must make sure the alarms are in working order at the start of each new tenancy.

Electrical safety

Your legal responsibilities relating to Electrical safety are:

  1. To ensure that all electrical installations are safe for when the tenant moves in and also maintained in a safe condition.
  2. All supplied electrical appliances, cookers and kettles etc, must have a CE marking
  3. If the property is HMO then a periodic inspection must be completed every 5 years. The test will need to be completed by a qualified and registered electrician.

Letting Agents Wolverhampton can organise an electrical safety check for you.

Legionella risk assessment

Your legal responsibilities relating to Legionella are:

The law is clear that if you are a landlord and rent out your property (or even a room within your own home) then you have legal responsibilities to ensure the health and safety of your tenant by keeping the property safe and free from health hazards.

  1. You do not need a full and detailed expensive report.
  2. We do recommend that as a minimum you carry out a basic legionella risk assessment. You can do this yourself or if you do not feel confident then appoint a competent person.

Letting Agents Wolverhampton can carry out the basic requirements of legionella risk assessment that is required during the same visit as the Gas safety check.

Letting Agents Wolverhampton can book a Gas safety check & Legionella risk assessment for you.


Energy Performance CertificateYour legal responsibilities relating to EPCs are:

Please note you will need a EPC before you can rent your property

  1. Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) are needed whenever a property is newly built or sold or rented.
  2. You must order an EPC for potential buyers and tenants before you market your property to sell or rent.
  3. In Scotland, you must display the EPC somewhere in the property, eg in the meter cupboard or next to the boiler.
  4. An EPC contains information about a property’s energy use and typical energy costs and recommendations about how to reduce energy use and save money
  5. An EPC gives a property an energy efficiency rating from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient) and is valid for 10 years.

Letting Agents Wolverhampton can book an Energy Performance Certificate for you.

Deposit protection

Your legal responsibilities relating to Deposit protection are:

It is normal practice for landlords and letting agents to request a deposit from tenant when renting a property. When you receive a deposit for an intended tenancy, you are legally required to protect it in a government backed tenancy deposit scheme.

All deposits received must be protected within 30 days of receipt. Any failure to meet this requirement can result in a fine of up to 3 times the deposit amount.

  1. There are currently three government schemes:
  2. Deposit Protection Service (Custodial & Insured)
  3. My Deposits
  4. Tenancy Deposit Scheme

Inventory report

Our suggestion relating to an Inventory report is:

The tenancy protection requirement does not make the preparing of a Property inventory compulsory. However, as a landlord you will find them unquestionably essential, particularly in the event of an end of tenancy dispute.

The property inventory becomes the essential document for the start and end of tenancy closure. Without any evidence of the start and finish you will have nothing to rely on other than ‘he said she said’.

Letting Agents Wolverhampton can book a Property inventory for you.

How to rent guide

Your legal responsibilities relating to How to rent guide are:

The Deregulation Act 2015 now requires that all landlord must provide there tenant with detailed information that makes them fully aware of their rights and responsibilities.

This guide is for tenants and landlords in the private rented sector to help them understand their rights and responsibilities. It provides a checklist and more detailed information on each stage of the process, including:

  1. What to look out for before renting
  2. Living in a rented home
  3. What happens at the end of a tenancy
  4. What to do if things go wrong

This information is available from the Government web site – How to rent

For help with any of the content within our knowledge hub – Call our team at: Letting Agents Wolverhampton.

Arrange a free market appraisal

If you’re a landlord, looking to let or you’re just interested in how much your property might be worth, the best way to get an accurate and detailed understanding is through a free one-to-one appraisal with one of our experienced local agents. Request an appraisal with us using the form below.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.