UK landlords are legally obliged to provide secure, safe and hygienic accommodation which are fre...
UK landlords are legally obliged to provide secure, safe and hygienic accommodation which are free from health hazards. The local authority has the power to prosecute if the minimum standards aren’t kept. In fact, landlords are obliged to provide a level of safety that home owners aren’t. At Belvoir we will ensure that your property complies with all the required legislation and that the necessary certifications are in place. Some of the things you need to ensure, though not an exhaustive list:
- Gas Safety Certificate - this must be carried out on a yearly basis
- Furniture must be fire retardant
- Smoke alarms on all floors which must be tested regularly. If it’s an HMO (House in Multiple Occupation) then a specialist system needs to be in place with alarms in every room
- Carbon monoxide detectors in rooms where there’s gas or fuel burners
- Electrical safety checks are recommended but a must in an HMO
- EPC (Energy Performance Certificate). In April 2018 it will be unlawful to rent the property If the EPC is less than E rated
- Legionella risk assessment
- The property must be structurally sound and free from major disrepair
- Be free from damp that could harm health
- Have a water supply, good drainage, and a suitably located toilet, a bath or shower and a wash basin
- Have proper lighting, heating and ventilation
- Ensure the outside structure of the property is sound
- Repair breakages to basins, sinks, baths and other sanitary fittings (pipes and drains, too)
- Ensure there is heating and hot water
And, if that isn’t enough, Councils must be permitted access to inspect rental properties. If they consider the washing and cooking facilities inadequate, or that the property is overcrowded or in a state of disrepair, they will take action against the landlord.
As you can see the above list is extensive with a number of complex requirements, if you feel your current property(ies) aren’t being managed effectively, please do give our lettings team a call on 0203 875 600 or email them on email@example.com to discuss further.