Finding the right property to rent can be difficult and concerns about rogue agents/ landlords may be uppermost in your mind. The following checklist will help you avoid the pitfalls and find your next home:
1. Be careful who you rent from. Make sure the agent you choose is a member of the government-accredited National Approved Lettings Scheme (NALS) or the association of registered letting agents (ARLA), or if dealing directly with the landlord that they are a member of an Association such as the Landlord Association.
2. Make sure you see the Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for the property and get an idea of how much you can expect to pay on your utility bills.
3. Before you hand-over your deposit ensure that it will be protected by a regulated scheme Tenancy Deposit Protection scheme e.g. Deposit protection service (DPS).
4. Make sure you see the Gas Safety Certificate (legal requirement) for the property and either an Electrical Safety Certificate or written confirmation from the landlord that the electrics are in good order.
5. Ensue you thoroughly read and understand your letting agreement prior to signing.
6. Ensure that you receive and sign a copy of the inventory for the property (ideally with photos) before you move in.
7. Report any problems with the property immediately - by phone - and also in writing outlining any repairs required.
8. Make sure that you do not disturb your neighbours as you could lose your home if they report you.
9. Make sure that you check the condition of the property against the inventory with the inventory clerk before you vacate the property and ensure everything is fairly recorded.
For more information on how to ensure a trouble free tenancy, please contact Belvoir Enfield.