Landlords - So What Happens Next?

If you have decided to instruct Belvoir Mansfield as your letting agent here is a brief summary of what happens next;


You will receive 2 pieces of paperwork to fill out (Terms of Business & Statement/ Property Owners Forms). It is vital that you provide us with as much detail as you can in the property owners forms so that we have correct records.

We will also require the following; Gas Safety Certificate, Electrical Safety Record& an Energy Performance Certificate(EPC) – we will need the EPC before we can advertise the property. We can arrange for these to be done on your behalf with one of our trusted contactors (costs apply). We will also need a “Permission to Let” letter from your mortgage lender (if applicable). Once we have received the EPC, Property Owners Forms & Terms of business & a set of keys we will then be able to advertise your property (we will require the other paperwork & further sets of keys before the tenant moves in – see property preparation checklist).

Insurance – Belvoir have negotiated specific Rent & Legal and Buildings & Contentsinsurance policies with Endsleigh (a specialist insurance provider) to offer our landlords comprehensive cover to protect their property investments. Please let us know if you would like us to provide you with a quote or more information on these policies.

Marketing & Viewings

Your property will be marketed on internet portals – Rightmove & Belvoir websites. A “To Let”board will also be erected. At Belvoir we always carry out accompanied viewings at your property. This is mainly for security but it also allows us to answer any questions the viewer may have at that time. At the end of each week our property negotiator will contact you (telephone/email) to provide you with feedback on the viewings that have gone ahead.

Tenancy Applications/Referencing

Once a prospective tenant has viewed a property and wishes to apply we take an application fee from them (see application fees page). This is mainly for referencing costs but it also acts as their general commitment to wanting the property.

We carry out several references to ensure their affordability for the property. These are; credit check, employers reference(to prove tenant earns at least 2 and half times the annual rent and that there are no impending changes to employment) and we will also do a landlord reference(if they are currently in rented accommodation). In some cases tenants may need a guarantor (this is one of our requirements if a tenant is in receipt of housing benefit).

Inventory/Move In

If you have chosen our Fully Managed, Let & Rent or Let Only service we will prepare an Inventory/Statement of Condition at the property before the tenant moves in. This will detail the entire property and will be accompanied by date and time stamped photos; we will also take the meter readings. Our aim with the inventory is to reduce any eventual disagreement at the end of the tenancy term.

Once the tenants have moved in we will inform the utility companies and council tax. 

Email a Friend

Please check you have entered all details correctly