A bit of History in Yardley is named in the Domesday Book and was referred to as early as 972 in King Edgar's Charter where it is named Gyrdleah. It was mentioned as being under the possession of Pershore Abbey.
The parish of Yardley, historically part of Worcestershire, became the only parish in the Yardley Rural District under the Local Government Act 1894, and was added to Birmingham and Warwickshire in 1911. The ancient parish of Yardley included the areas known as Stechford and Hall Green. The area of Gilbertstone straddles the border of Yardley and South Yardley.
Yardley has a Tudor hall called Blakesley Hall and an old church, St Edburgha's, that dates back to the 13th century, with the church tower and spire dating to the 15th century. It was not established by the abbey, but by Aston Church in the Diocese of Lichfield. A Tudor addition to the church is a doorway surrounded by Tudor roses and a pomegranate, commemorating the marriage of Prince Arthur, Prince of Wales, to Catherine of Aragon.
A small amount of Yardley, called Old Yardley, was granted conservation area status in 1969, becoming Birmingham's first conservation area.
Yardley also contains a moated medieval site called "Kent's Moat". Now dry, it has retained its depth and shape remarkably well considering its age, as excavations have shown evidence of inhabitation from as early as the 12th century.
Yardley has four main primary schools. These are Yardley, Blakesley Hall, Lyndon Green and Oasis Academy Hobmoor. It also has two main secondary schools, which are Cockshut Hill Technology College and King Edward VI Sheldon Heath Academy.
Hobmoor Primary School moved to new premises in Summer 2007. The former building is to be demolished and the site redeveloped.
Acocks Green to Birmingham Moor Street
Stechford to Birmingham international
Stechford to Birmingham New Street
The A45 (Coventry Road) runs through Yardley heading towards Birmingham City centre, the international airport and the M42.