Contact us today

Please enter your first name.
Please enter your surname.
Please enter your telephone number.
Please enter a valid email address.
Please provide some details about your enquiry.
Hero image 1

Bromley | Are Your Home Electrics Safe

Is your home/new home at risk from faulty wiring?

A survey carried out on more than 2,000 homeowners who purchased their property in the past 2 years found of the 2.4 million property sales in the past two years, only 37% used an EICR.

Below we have listed a few handy tips on how to check your home electrics.

Make sure you have a ‘Residual Current Device’ (RCD) on your electrical consumer unit and test it every few months by pressing the ‘test’ button. An RCD is a device that is incorporated into many consumer units and is designed to switch off your electrics when an electrical circuit fault develops in your home.

Are you aware of ‘Part P’ of the Building Regulations? For example, even moving a socket or light fitting in a bathroom requires notifying to your Local Authority Building Control department.

NAPIT highly recommend having an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) carried out on your home at least every 10 years to check everything is safe for your family.

When moving home or renting a property, always check it has an up to date EICR to see if any work needs carrying out on the electrics.

If any work is required, always make sure you agree what will be carried out and at what price in contract form. Contact us and we can help find a local registered electrician.

Make sure any work that is carried out in your home has the correct electrical safety certificates supplied, whether to ensure your family's safety or if you are planning to rent or sell your home. Visit NAPIT for more information on electrical safety.

Examples of certificates:

  • A new circuit has been installed, this requires an Electrical Certificate
  • A new circuit includes any work wired directly through your fuse box/consumer unit requires a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate (also known as a Part P Certificate)
  • A fuse box/consumer unit has been replaced requires an Electrical Certificate (Installation/Modification) and a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate (also known as a Part P Certificate)
  • An existing circuit has been added to or altered in a room containing a bath, shower, swimming pool or sauna heater needs an Electrical Certificate (Installation/Modification), a Minor Works Electrical Certificate (for alterations only)and in many cases a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate (Part P)
  • An existing circuit has been added to or altered requires a Minor Works Electrical Certificate.

Check how long any guarantees for work last. For example, in the event that your tradesperson is no longer in business, NAPIT provides a warranty to ensure that your installation will comply with the appropriate industry standards for six years from the date of completion.

Remember if you do need your electrics checking, contact an electrician who is a member of a Competent Person Scheme, such as NAPIT