Landlord Safety Regulations

Hendon Landlord Safety Regulations

As a landlord you have specific legal obligations and responsibilities with regard to fire safety for furniture & furnishings, gas supply and appliances, and electrical wiring and appliances. It is essential that you take these responsibilities seriously as failure to comply can lead to large fines and even imprisonment.  When you use Belvoir Hendon we will ensure that you are fully compliant with all your legal obligations.

Gas Safety

If you are a landlord letting a property equipped with gas appliances you need to understand and comply with the law relating to gas safety. If you let a property you must make sure that pipework, appliances and flues provided for tenants are maintained in a safe condition. You need to have a Gas Safety Check carried out by a registered Gas Safe Engineer every year. You must give your tenants a copy of the gas safety record within 28 days of it being carried out or before they move in. You should make sure your tenants know where to turn off the gas and what to do in the event of a gas emergency.


Carbon Monoxide alarms are now required to be fitted in all rooms where a solid fuel burning appliance is situated. This includes open fireplaces and wood burners.      

Electrical Safety

It is important to ensure that all electrical appliances and fittings are safe and in good working order. Unlike gas regulations, there is no law that says you must have a landlord electrical safety certificate. However, should any electrical fittings or appliances within your rental property cause harm to a tenant you could be held liable. If you let property you must ensure that the electrical system and all appliances supplied are safe. Failure to comply with the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994 and The Consumer Protection Act 1987 is a criminal offence and may result in a fine or even imprisonment.

Furniture and Furnishing

Furniture and furnishings supplied in rental accommodation must comply with The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988. If you let your residential property furnished you must ensure that certain types of furniture and furnishings provided meet the current safety regulations. Failure to comply with the regulations is a criminal offence and may result in heavy fines or even imprisonment. Some materials used to fill or cover furniture, particularly older and second hand furniture, may be a fire risk and often produce poisonous gases when burning, such as cyanide or carbon monoxide.

Energy Performance Certificates

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) provides an energy rating for a home showing it is energy efficiency and its environmental impact on a scale from A-G (A is the most efficient and G the least efficient). It also contains recommended ways to improve the property’s energy performance. It is the landlord's legal obligation to provide their tenants with a certificate and this remains valid for 10 years.

All homes bought, sold or rented require an EPC. As of 1 April 2016 tenants living in private rental sector property with F and G rated homes are able to request improvements to raise the rating. The landlord will then be legally bound to bring the property up to at least an E rating.

We hope you found this page useful. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to get in touch on 0203 875 6000 or

Email a Friend

Please check you have entered all details correctly