If you’re planning a spring move, get ahead of the competition by preparing your property for sale now.
You’d be amazed how a little bit of planning and elbow grease can influence the sale process.
Paying attention to detail can mean the difference between achieving a good price and top price. It can also play a part in the speed of a transaction.
Homes that “stick” – stay on the market for a long time – tend to be in a bad state of repair and poorly presented. (Yes, some buyers are interested in purchasing a doer-upper, but only if they can knock the price right down.)
Buyers like to know what they’re getting. They want to walk into a clean, light, and airy property and visualise themselves living there.
Here are five ways to prepare your home for sale (for more tips, check out part one of this series, published here last week.
1. Get the floors cleaned. It’s tempting to hide those red wine stains under a rug, but eagle-eyed buyers will move furniture and floor coverings to find out what’s underneath. Get your carpets cleaned and if you have floorboards, polish them so that they’re gleaming.
2. Let the light in. A key reason to sell in spring is to take advantage of the natural light. Clean the curtains and make sure you open them before a viewing to show your home at its best.
3. Clean the windows. Grimy, streaky windows are a turn-off and don’t show your house in the best light.
4. Get rid of animal odours. If you were one of the many to get a pandemic puppy, congratulations! We’re sure your furry friend is gorgeous, but it’s inevitable that your home now has a particular doggy smell. Wash the dog’s bedding and pack away all the chew-toys and squeaky toys. Also, invest in some scented candles.
5. Create a grand entrance. Pay careful attention to your front door (does it need a lick of paint?) and hallway as buyers will form an opinion the moment they step over the threshold. Make sure all remnants of winter – muddy boots and heavy coats – are out of sight.
For more advice about selling your Gloucestershire home, get in touch with us today.
COPYRIGHT BELVOIR GLOUCESTER 2021