When you sign a tenancy agreement, you are entering a contract whereby you receive a certain amou...
When you sign a tenancy agreement, you are entering a contract whereby you receive a certain amount of rights in exchange for fulfilling your responsibilities.
If you are renting a property, it is important that you are fully aware of your rights as a tenant, and at Belvoir, we are here to help you get the most out of your rental property. Here is our guide to your rights as a tenant.
Generally, as a tenant you have a right to experience quiet, responsible enjoyment of the property you are renting without unnecessary disturbance from your landlord. Unless otherwise specified in your tenancy agreement, your landlord must give you at least 24-hours notice (except for emergencies) if they require access to the property.
On top of this, your letting agent will also conduct regular inspections of the property to ensure everything is in order. You’ll be notified of this in writing well in advance of the inspection date.
By law, unless otherwise specified in your tenancy agreement, your landlord is required to:
- Insure and maintain the property, including taking care of and paying for any repairs or maintenance costs.
- Return your full deposit back to you at the end of your tenancy, unless any deductions are required. If this is the case, these deductions should be explained to you in full.
- Ensure the property, its appliances and any furnishings meet legal standards and are completely safe.
By law, your landlord cannot:
- Change the locks on the property without your awareness and without giving you a new key.
- Cut off your utilities.
- Remove, withhold or interfere with your mail.
- Threaten you in any way, physically or verbally. Neglect or leave the property in an unliveable condition.
By renting a property through a reputable letting agent, you can ensure that your rights are fulfilled with minimum hassle. At Belvoir, we work hard to ensure the happiness and satisfaction of our tenants and our landlords, and if you are looking for flats to rent in Sutton Coldfield, we can help you find the perfect property. Contact us today by calling 0121 321 3388.