Have you remembered to check your smoke alarm recently? You haven't then it is important that yo...
Have you remembered to check your smoke alarm recently? You haven't then it is important that you do so for you and your families safety. You should have a working smoke alarm on every floor in the property, if you don't please contact us so we can arrange one to be sent out to you.
Do you have a problem with your existing smoke alarm? Is your smoke alarm beeping? If so it's a very simple fix as it will just require a new battery. You can pick these up at your local supermarket and replace them yourself. Even the mains electric smoke alarms will need a new battery as this is a backup in case of a power failure and they too will beep when coming to the end of their life. Please do not isolate this at the fuse box you just need to replace the battery.
From October 2015 it was mandatory for properties with gas to have a Carbon Monoxide Alarm supplied. This is something that you may already have in your property and you will find some useful information about Carbon Monoxide Alarms below.
Carbon Monoxide General Information
Where should you install carbon monoxide detectors, particularly how high off the floor?
Carbon Monoxide Alarms can be placed at any height on a wall or ceiling. It is a common misunderstanding that Carbon Monoxide Alarms must be placed near the ground to accurately detect levels of CO. In truth, Carbon Monoxide is roughly the same weight as air, and distributes evenly throughout a room. This means a CO detector can be placed at any height on a wall or ceiling. It is important to keep in mind that the CO Alarm must be placed in an area that allows for the siren to be heard. As Carbon Monoxide moves freely through the air, the Alarm must not be located near a ceiling fan, or blocked by furniture in order to detect CO levels accurately. Be sure to keep your Carbon Monoxide Alarm clean, and out of the way of children or pets.
What is carbon monoxide?
Carbon monoxide is known as the “silent killer” because it is odourless, tasteless and colourless. It’s also toxic, since the gas can prevent your body from properly transporting oxygen. If inhaled in high concentrations, carbon monoxide poisoning can happen quickly; it can also occur slowly if toxic gas levels build up slowly over time.
What are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?
People who have been exposed to carbon monoxide experience a range of symptoms that may include headaches, confusion, drowsiness, dizziness, burning eyes and loss of consciousness. An acute case can result in brain damage and death. Note that children, seniors and people who have pre-existing respiratory or heart conditions are often more sensitive to the effects of carbon monoxide.
What are possible sources of carbon monoxide in the home?
Carbon monoxide is a natural by-product of many home appliances. If you use charcoal, gasoline, kerosene, wood, propane, natural gas or heating oil to create energy or heat – hot water heaters, grills, furnaces, fireplaces, stoves, room heaters, etc. – then there is potential for carbon monoxide in your home. It’s important to have these products installed by a professional, since proper installation, ventilation and maintenance will reroute any carbon monoxide emissions out of your home to keep your family safe.