×

Contact us today

Please enter your first name.
Please enter your surname.
Please enter your telephone number.
Please enter a valid email address.
Please provide some details about your enquiry.
 

Belvoir Sheffield Issues Landlord Warning After Gas Fitter Penalty

Belvoir Sheffield has warned local landlords to use reputable trades people, after one landlord was prosecuted for safety failings, after employing the illegal gas fitters to install boilers on a rental property.

Belvoir Sheffield has warned local landlords to use reputable trades people, after one landlord was prosecuted for safety failings, after employing the illegal gas fitters to install boilers at both her own home, and a month later on a rental property.

The events took place in March and April 2012, and led to a landlord, being fined a total of £950 and ordered to pay £4,000 in costs after being found guilty of breaching Regulation 36(4) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 in both of her Colchester properties.

An investigation by the Health and Safety found that the landlord in question failed to ensure that her gas fitters were registered with the Gas Safe Register, a legal requirement for anyone undertaking gas work. By not doing so, she failed in her duties as a landlord, and was thus charged at Chelmsford Crown Court

Rick Flay, Director at Belvoir Sheffield Lettings, said: "This latest case of a landlord being prosecuted should be a stark wake up call to DIY and inexperienced landlords to use a professional lettings agent.

"Landlords have a duty of care by law when renting their properties pout to tenants and it is very easy to find yourself on the wrong side of legislative issues. Unfortunately, as this landlord found out, ignorance or lack of professional knowledge is not an excuse and you could find yourself being fined or in some cases faced with a jail sentence."

Each year people die from CO poisoning caused by gas appliances that have not been properly installed or maintained, or that are poorly ventilated. Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can also cause fires, explosions or gas leaks.

Rick Flay, whose agency, Belvoir Sheffield, offers a wide range of homes to let, added: "I would advise any landlords unsure of their requirements to get in touch with us for a free no obligation meeting to ensure that they are on the right side of the law."

Belvoir Lettings Sheffield is the One Stop Shop Specialists for residential property, for sales, for lettings including property management, investment, and wealth management advice, fit outs and renovations, mortgages and conveyancing.

For more information on Belvoir Sheffield, please call lettings on 0114 25 25 215 or sales on 0114 331 0033, or email us at sheffield@belvoirlettings.com 

Back to the blog

Related Posts