If you are a landlord with property in Wales you must register. If you perform any property management you must also be licensed. If you use an agent then it's the agent who must be licensed.
The Welsh Government has announced the detail behind the Rent Smart Wales initiative, the Landlord registration and Landlord Licensing Scheme. Here's a concise guide explaining the key points -
The 2 requirements -
REGISTERED. If you are a landlord with property in Wales you must register your details and the address of your property.
LICENSED. If you perform any property management you must be licensed but if you use an agent then it’s the agent who must be licensed.
Registering as a landlord
Registering as a landlord is intended to be a simple task and you will be able to register on-line.
- There will be a fee payable to register. Landlord registration costs £33.50 if completed on-line
- You are required to notify the authority should your contact details or circumstances change
- Registration will be valid for 5 years after which a new registration must be made and the fee paid again.
- Limited registration information will be publicly available on-line
Licensing (to manage properties)
- The application for a license can be made on line and a fee will be payable (The fee is currently £144.00)
- Only 1 license is required, regardless of the number of properties managed.
- The license holder must comply with a Welsh Minister approved Code of Practice containing letting and management standards in relation to rental properties.
- The Landlord must undertake relevant training.
- The license holder is required to notify the authority should their contact details or circumstances change.
- The license will be valid for 5 years after which it must be renewed and a further fee paid.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the new legislation please don't hesitate to contact Belvoir Cardiff. We are registered with The Property Ombudsman, A memeber of NALS, have full client money protection in place and have comprehensive liability insurance.
Further information on the new legislation can be found on the Rent Smart Wales website https://www.rentsmart.gov.wales/en/